Thursday, May 14, 2009

Incest

Okay, so I think that I surprised some people when I stated that incestuous marriages should be legal. Well...yes, I am THAT liberal! This is in line with two of my beliefs about marriage: (1) as long as U.S. government has created the benefits-attached institution of civil marriage, all adult citizens should be eligible to enter into this legal contract with whichever consenting adult they love most and to whom they desire to make a lifelong commitment; and (2) marriage is not necessarily about procreation. This is why our nation allows marriage between people who are sterile, genetically defective, child abusers, or have no desire to create or adopt children.

Connie, I haven't checked out the links you provided, because frankly, it doesn't matter what the risks are for siblings, cousins, parent-child, etc. having children (although I think the risks are lower than many people think). But it doesn't matter! For what it's worth, the MD/PA couple in the Post article I mentioned explicitly stated that they did not intend to have children. But the fact is, they are planning to spend their lives together no matter what the government says, so why can't the government just go ahead and make their union a civil marriage? To do that would NOT mean that our government "condones incest". Divorce and adultery are legal, but does that mean that our government condones them? I hope not!!

Regarding the "propensity for power abuses" that might occur if a father marries a daughter: unfortunately, the notion of an older, more powerful man forcing a minor or much younger woman to marry him and making it appear consensual (when it is really brainwashing) is already a problem (remember the Texas cult compound thing? Although I don't think those were legal marriages). It's awful, and it needs to be prevented, but I don't think allowing incestuous marriages will increase these occurrences, especially if we redouble our efforts to prevent domestic violence and abuse again women. We should be ensuring that ALL relationships, not just marriage, are consensual and free from abuse.

Anyway, my take-home point is that our society would be better in multiple ways if the legal contract of civil marriage accommodated ALL couples who desire a life-long commitment to each other, as long as these relationships are between consenting adults.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your points that marriage(civil or otherwise) is not solely for procreation, genetically defective people already marry and goverment has no business telling us who we can marry.

Theoretically, the last point I agree with absolutely; however, practically, it's not that black and white, unfortunately. Much moral bias dictates government-sanctioned contracts, programs, etc. The reality is someone, somewhere, gets excluded when any rule, morally-based or not, is enforced, whether by governmental, religious, educational or other institutions.

While I agree with you that we should "redouble our efforts to prevent domestic violence and abuse against women" I am not as certain as you that allowing state-sanctioned, incestuous marriages (especially parent/child contracts)would not result in increased cases of abuse. If removing the taboo of these incestuous relationships has no effect or reduces abuse frequency, then no good has come of it other than the state sanctioning all consensual, adult relationships. But, with anything, there is often a double-edged sword with a grey area.

I'm very curious as to what the outcomes would be if any two people were allowed to enter into a civil marriage. My feeling is I won't live to see it.

happy trails,

Connie :)

Anonymous said...

Correction:

I stated in the previous post:

"If removing the taboo of these incestuous relationships has no effect or reduces abuse frequency,..."

What I meant to say is, "If removing the taboo of these incestuous relationships has no effect or increases abuse frequency"

Also, I'm sure that the state sanctioning these marriages will not eliminate the taboo, since we cannot legislate morality and legalizing gay marriage will not change many people's minds as well.

Happy trails,

Connie :)