Saturday, May 02, 2009

Backpacking last weekend

Last weekend I went backpacking for the first time in almost 5 years. Since moving here almost a year ago, I have barely stepped outside the Raleigh/Durham area to see the rest of NC, and so this trip to Pisgah National Forest was a great chance to see the mountains in the western part of the state. The trip was led by two Duke seniors who are part of an organization called Project WILD. This trip was a fundraiser for their program for high schoolers called "Step Into the Wild". On Friday April 24, we started out from Sam Knob (sort of near the center of this map) and hiked to a campsite near Devil's Courthouse, which is where this picture was taken:



I don't remember the exact route we took on Saturday, but we ended up near Shining Rock. This picture doesn't really do Shining Rock justice - it's a beautiful, large outcropping of snow-white quartz with granite intrusions (look at me trying to sound like I'm a geologist):





Even though it had been so long since I went backpacking, I think I did pretty well w/ carrying a pack, though I think mine was a lot lighter than our leaders' packs.



Overall, it was a great trip, and I'm really glad I decided to go and that grading could wait! We had absolutely perfect weather, and thus the many scenic mountainous views were especially gorgeous - see the rest of my photos (plus a couple from other trip participants) here.

4 comments:

Tom Rice said...

GB,

I'm jealous. That looks like so much fun. Glad you were able to get out and do it. Perhaps you should have rented a llama (see my blog).

Anonymous said...

That Shining Rock you're sitting on is *gorgeous.* Gosh do I miss hiking as I used to do a lot of it in WA state.

That pack you're wearing reminds me of what we humped around with in the Marine Corps, all the way down to the sleeping mat (ours were black, not blue). :)

Just curious...did you have a shelter half and e-tool also in your pack?

Happy trails,

Connie :)

Sandra Cookie said...

I am such a novice I don't know what "a shelter half and e-tool" are! Probably not. I am carrying one of the two tents that the 8 of us slept in.

Anonymous said...

LOL

Heck...I didn't know what they were, either, until I went into the Marines (then later on as I hiked a lot in various mountain ranges I was reintroduced to the civilian versions).

The shelter-half is simply a temporary tent (often called pup or dog tent) and is comprised of two halves of canvas or other material that is strapped together before erecting with poles. It's fun (and quite challenging, if tired!) to put together. The e-tool is simply a miniature shovel hand tool short for "excavation tool" used to dig holes for the poles (and for various other things, including burying one's excrement...TMI?) :)

Happy trails,

Connie :)