Sunday, March 28, 2010

Response to TH

I did read your comments, TH, and neither you, me, nor anyone else was adding anything new to the argument that's going on between both sides of the health reform debate. That's because none of us are professors in health care economics! Man, this thing only recently passed, and already I'm getting tired of the same, hackneyed arguments on both sides! If I'm wrong and you do have something new to add - well, geez, don't write it on my stupid blog - write a letter to your editor! I did not mean to insult you - I know for a fact how intelligent, caring, and hard-working you are. You and I just try to keep ourselves informed as best we can, but really, we're not experts despite our brilliance, and even if we have all of our facts straight, we ARE indeed biased and never going to agree. Sorry - by "bias" I mean our philosophies and principles that form who we are and what we believe in. For example, someone recently told me that even if this healthcare reform works our perfectly and fixes all the problems it promises to, they are still wholeheartedly against it because they are against the principle of the government requiring them to buy something. I am NOT against this principle at all. I think it's smart, makes sense, and in no way significantly threatens anyone's personal liberties. Obviously, this person and I will never agree on this, even a little bit.

Oh, and you're probably now asking why I started the conversation in the first place if I think it's stupid and adding nothing new. All I did was post a link to an article by Nicholas Kristof claiming that this reform will increase access to health care. I thought it was interesting, but I actually didn't think that it was controversial or made a very original or new point - we'd heard this before, but it was still interesting and thought-provoking. Then someone commented in such a way that I felt I had to write a post in response to that comment. THEN someone commented on THAT, and once again I felt a response was needed. And so forth - and I actually did solicit opinions on that last post, but I was expecting one response, NOT a rant of like 8 comments in a row! And that's when it starts to feel silly, because really, we're all just scouring the internet to find info that supports our opinions - we're not doing careful, scholarly research on the topic. That's not what we do, and I certainly don't have time for that - in fact, gotta run to church now! I realize the fact that I maintain this blog in the first place and post pictures of cats and shit like that gives the impression that I have time to kill and nothing to do. But in reality I have a crapload of important work to do, and I've wasted more than enough time on a pointless conversation that will lead nowhere but an impasse.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I admit I commented on to your site because I was happy to see someone sharing their opinion about health care. I know there's a certain rage in the country at this time, and it was interesting to read the viewpoints from someone who is against health care here on your blog, as an alternative to wading through the pages and pages of vitriol on the Washington Post comments section.

I did watch 2 great Frontline episodes about health care - "Sick Around the World" and "Sick In America" (made in 2008 and 2009), available on the PBS web site, which I think should be required viewing for everyone.

I enjoy reading your blog Sandra!

-K

Sandra Cookie said...

Thanks! Of course I spend quite a bit of time listening to someone who is against healthcare (and other stuff that I'm for), so maybe that's why I reached my limit early :)