Monday, July 21, 2008

Settling In

It has been over 3 weeks since I moved in to my first home (as a homeowner, that is), and I am settling in pretty well. I've even started hanging pictures and only have one box left to unpack. However, I'm heading into week #2 with a broken AC. It hasn't been too bad so far, but tomorrow is supposed to be a high of 99 F, which I think is the hottest it's been since I moved here. I was initially dragging my feet on getting it fixed. Now the problem has been diagnosed (need a new compressor), but not yet solved, as Steve the AC guy was gonna try to find a low-cost compressor from some discount vendor he knows. Low-cost would be fantastic, but I will call him tomorrow, as Madeline and I are getting antsy! On Saturday night I slept at a friend's house after a party, which besides being a great way for me to meet some lovely women in my new town, was also a nice respite from my tropical-feeling home. Thanks Carolyn! I may have to sleep under my desk in my lovely air-conditioned office tomorrow night! This is pathetic, I've become too used to modern creature comforts! I should remember back to the hot summer nights spent in my grandparents non-ACed homes.

Anyway, here are some pictures of my new, humble little dwelling:







I don't have many from inside, but I'll wait until I get everything bought/ unpacked/ put-away...and host a visitor w/ a digital camera (don't want to waste film on some ordinary rooms!) And here is the poor little garden I started. Actually, the marigold seedlings are coming up quite well, the mint looks decent, and the tomato isn't dead (bought the mint, tomato, and basil plants from the garden store). The basil is being thoroughly enjoyed, but unfortunately not much by me. Does anyone know of any good organic insecticides for sweet basil? I'm quite naive and new at this!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess you're glad you didn't buy the house with no AC?
CG

Anonymous said...

Is the AC fixed yet? Oh dear.

That certainly does bode well in the Southern wet heat of summer!

Happy trails,

Connie :)