Friday, April 13, 2007

The Danube is Dobre

Last week my mom and I went to visit Alicia in Slovakia. Normally I like to learn a least a little bit of the language before I travel to a foreign country, but Slovak (and Hungarian) are just too, I don't know, crazy-looking and sounding. The three words I did pick up were "ahoj" (pronounced "ahoy") which means hello, "dobre" which means well or good, and "d'akujem" (pronounced kinda like "Jacque-wee-em") which is thank you. I didn't pick up any Hungarian, and hardly anyone in Budapest spoke English, but we got by. Okay, now I get to show off some of my photos.

Here's a slightly crooked pic from the main square in Bratislava our first night there:



It was kinda hazy, but here is the big castle that you can see from almost anywhere in Bratislava. We visited it on Day 2:



An adorable little blue church:



Alicia served us grasshoppers. She was a lovely hostess:



Mommy and Alicia in Budapest:



Parliment in Budapest:



Alice the Camel has two humps and a nice smile (Budapest Zoo):



The prettiest elephant house we had ever seen:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How 'bout some pics of you in Slovakia! Welcome back!!

I didn't bother to learn much Thai beyond hello, thank you, and Happy New Year (which was April 13). Thank goodness all we really need to know is how much things cost! ;P

-Kate