Monday, March 12, 2007

Oooh this makes me mad!!

I've always hated the military's "don't ask don't tell" policy, and this article makes me so angry! How can you call homosexuality and adultery immoral when you're a Marine general? How can a Marine general say "we do not condone immoral acts."!?! You're responsible for killing people!! Lots of people!! So war is moral but being gay is not? Kudos to Rep. Meehan and supporters for introducing legislation to reverse this ban. I was once told by a certain Navy reservist (who may be reading this - let me know if you've changed your opinion since then) that he supports the ban because some people would feel weirded out and distracted if they had to serve alongside a homosexual. That's too ridiculous for words. We meet such a wide variety of people in life - you may not like everyone, but sometimes you have to find ways to be accepting, grow up, and get along. Plus, don't our troops work w/ other countries' troops in coalitions or whatever? Other countries who allow gays in their military because they're not conservative tight asses like the U.S.. So our patriotic homophobes may find themselves working alongside a gay person anyway! Grrr, this frosts Sandra Cookie's cookies!

2 comments:

amandamonkey said...

AWESOME POST!

And so very very sad that it took your *blog* for me to get back in touch.

I am veryveryvery embarassed. Will you forgive me?

Despite my silence, I do miss you!

xoxoxoxoxox

Anonymous said...

Ha ha, I loved the frosting Sandra's cookies comment!

In all seriousness, I cannot believe this is in the public discourse today. Aren't there more important issues-- the WAR IN IRAQ and the Army's low recruitment numbers? Isn't it the dedicated soldier who makes the best soldier? So what does it matter what his orientation is? Shouldn't the Army be more concerned with PTSD and veteran healthcare?? It enrages me that we waste valuable time discussing these pointless issues, which are nothing more than hate-filled discrimination, when there 10x more serious issues which _cannot_ be ignored any longer!

-Kate