Saturday, August 27, 2011

Sweet Delights

A few weekends ago, Andrew and I made it out to the Carolina Godiva run at Umstead State Park. Some of the runners were talking about figs and what to do with them. So after the run when we headed over to the teeny tiny Cary Farmers Market, we were delighted to find figs! There were only 3 of them, and at $0.25 each we grabbed them all. We simply halved them, spread on some local goat cheese (also from the farmers market), drizzled some balsamic vinegar, and baked ~10 min at 350. They turned out really yummy! I think we paired them with some type of semi-sweet white wine, either from Biltmore or Andrew's dad's friend's vineyard in WV, and it was an excellent combo. The one downside was we only had 6 fig halves, but there were a whole bunch of figs at the Durham farmer's market this morning - along with goat cheese - so we're definitely doing this again!



Last weekend was Andrew's birthday, and he requested peach cobbler after our fantastic lunch at Lexington Barbeque in Lexington, NC (on our way to Asheville). I don't think my cobbler turned out as well as theirs, but it was still pretty damn good, especially for my first attempt, if I do say so myself. Fresh, delicious peaches from the farmers market certainly helped.



We were impressed with Lexington BBQ, by the way. I haven't liked any BBQ I've tried in NC until this. The meat wasn't overly salty (just the right flavor), the hush puppies were very tasty, and you could order everything in reasonably sized portions, leaving room for dessert!

No comments: