Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Pizza dough recipe

I started making this pizza dough a few months ago when I came across the recipe in a Lutheran church cookbook (thanks Mommy!) I've been raving about it to anyone who will listen, and so I thought I'd post the recipe here. Full disclosure: it's not quite as yummy as yeast pizza dough, but it's very good considering how quick and easy it is!

Healthy Pizza Dough
submitted by Tom Kern for "Grace Our Table," a cookbook of Trinity Lutheran Church, North Bethesda, MD

1 c. whole-wheat flour (*I've only used all-purpose)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp baking soda
3 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 c. natural plain yogurt (*I've used both Greek and normal low-fat)
**This is for a 9 inch pie. I usually double or increase by 50% to sufficiently cover my 12 inch pizza pan. I prefer thick over thin crust.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking soda. Make a depression in the flour and add oil and yogurt. Mix and then knead lightly until smooth. Roll out for a 9 inch pie. Bake 400 F for 10 min; remove from over. Add toppings and bake an additional 20 min. *I only bake 20 min total, max - sometimes I just add the toppings right away and bake ~15 min.

So quick and easy!

No comments: