Thursday, August 28, 2008

For biology teachers

The "Discovery Institute" (for some reason I feel they deserve quotes around their name) has been distributing a document to students entitled “Ten questions to ask your biology teacher about evolution". The National Center for Science Education has compiled a set of responses to these questions to aid biology teachers whose students try to challenge them with these questions. I think the NCSE did a good job, but I still wonder if these students will just end up confused, or will refuse to admit to anything that they view as contradicting their faith, no matter how sensible and compelling the evidence is. The NY Times recently published this list. Also, the article that accompanied this list I found quite interesting but also troubling. I can feel Mr. Campbell's frustration.

This reminded me of Lehigh University's Michael Behe. When I was in grad school there, I often heard him referred to as an "embarrassment". I thought I'd check his webpage to see if he's altered any of his ID content (he hasn't). And Lehigh's Biology Department has stated clearly and succinctly their view of his views.

No comments: